Dr Adekunle Hassan
Dr Adekunle Hassan, is the founder, Chief Medical Director of The
Eye Foundation Hospital Group, a leading and internationally recognized multi-specialist eyecare hospital and training centre in Nigeria. He founded Eye Foundation Hospital as the first group practice in eye care in Nigeria.
As an internationally recognized Consultant Ophthalmic surgeon (with a wide experience and specialization in Vitreo-retina, Glaucoma, Anterior segment, Cataract and Oculo-plastic surgery), Dr Adekunle Hassan is a recipient of several lifetimes achievement and excellence awards. He is the first Nigerian and African to be honoured with the International Council of Ophthalmology (ICO) Mark Tso Golden Apple Award. The award is presented to leaders in international ophthalmology for demonstrated innovation or exceptional achievements in ophthalmic education.
Dr Adekunle Hassan was born on January 26th 1951. He attended Ilesa Grammar School, Muslim College Ijebu – Ode, and the College of Medicine, University of Lagos, graduating in 1976. Dr Adekunle Hassan is a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeon, Glasgow, United Kingdom, Royal College of Ophthalmology, United Kingdom and West African College of Surgeons. He is also a Fellow of the Nigeria Institute of Cost Management. He trained at the prestigious Tenneth Institute of Ophthalmology, Western Infirmary, Glasgow, Scotland under the tutelage of the renowned Professor Wallace Foulds.
His training and experience spans across Europe, America, The Middle East and Africa. His patriotism motivated him to return to Nigeria in 1993 when he established Eye Foundation Hospital as the first Private post-graduate training institution in Nigeria and the Deseret Community Vision Institute in 2006. These institutions have provided quality eye care to over two million Nigerians, carried out over 200,000 surgical operations and dispensed over 150,000 eyeglasses through eye camps and outreaches across Nigeria. These Institutions have also trained over 60 local and international Ophthalmologists (Residents, Fellows), over 100 Community Ophthalmic Nurses and over 250 other Mid-Level Ophthalmic Professionals (MLOP). As a result, Eye Foundation Hospital is the first accredited centre for the International Joint Commission on Allied Health Personnel in Ophthalmology (IJCHAPO) examination in Nigeria.
Dr Adekunle Hassan’s exploits in the field of ophthalmology have created a robust and sustainable infrastructure to drive his vision to eliminate avoidable blindness in Nigeria and sub-Saharan Africa. The institutions he founded continue to set standards for quality eye care and public-private partnerships for eye care in Nigeria.
Dr Adekunle Hassan has over 100 publications, scientific and research papers to his name. He has received more than 90 academic, professional and society awards for his contribution to different spheres of life. He was awarded the Rotary Paul Harris Award in recognition of his contributions to the Rotary eye care projects in Nigeria, even though he is not a Rotarian. In the field of Ophthalmology, he has held or holds the following positions:
- President of Africa Ophthalmological Council for over 8 years – (2008 to 2017).
- Board member of the International Council of Ophthalmology (ICO) – (2008 to 2016)
- International Council of Ophthalmology (ICO) Advocacy Coordinator for Africa
- President Ophthalmology Society of Nigeria (OSN) – (2009 to 2013)
- Council Member International Agency for the prevention of Blindness (IAPB)
Dr Adekunle Hassan is a man with many caps; a world-class ophthalmic surgeon, an astute businessman, a versatile professional, a world citizen of distinction, quiet philanthropist, and educationist par-excellence. He has played an active role in the corporate world and has extensive corporate executive and non-executive boardroom roles in healthcare, finance and microfinance sectors. Some are listed below:
- Board Member of Diamond Bank Plc (now Access Bank Plc) for 10 years (2006 to 2016)
- Chairman Governance & Personnel Committee Diamond Bank Plc (now Access Bank Plc).
- Board member of Audit & Risk Management committee Diamond Bank Plc (now Access Bank Plc).
- Chairman of Health Partners Ltd.
- Chairman of Deseret International Hospitals Ltd
- Chairman of Summit Healthcare Hospitals Ltd
- Executive Chairman of the Liahone Economic Development Foundation (Microfinance)
- CEO of Summit Vision Management Company
- Chairman Onabisi Onabanjo University Teaching Hospital Management Board.
Dr Adekunle Hassan has been ably supported by his wife, Yeye (Otunba) Adetola Hassan and is blessed with lovely children and grandchildren.